Thursday, August 28, 2008

Start Saving, Step #2

Start Saving, Step #2
Start a Stockpile!
Buy things you need, but not necessarily things you need at the moment.
Prior to my coupon-ing, I would run out of toothpaste, make a trip to the store just for that item (gas money), and buy it (at full price). <shudder>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I now know it is ok to buy 4 tubes of toothpaste at once--especially when I am "buying" the items for free, or almost free.
Identify a corner of a closet or pantry to start your stockpiling. The best things I've learned about stockpiling:
*a) it is nice to just go get a new tube of toothpaste in my house instead of running out to buy a tube with stinky breath:-)
*b) I've found awesome deals by changing my mindset of buying what I need, but not just what I need now
*c) I've been able to donate items from my stockpile as the needs arise at church and for friends
I have a modest stockpile compared to most, but I'm building it--and highly recommend that you start this step, to start saving!
Do you already have a stockpile? Do you stockpile toiletries or food?
What are your tips to start saving? Feel free to share in the comments below.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have somewhat of a stockpile. We're only a family of 2 so sometimes I have to think twice how much we can stockpile. I have 3 jars of Peanut Butter from a Walgreens deal I did a few months ago that I'm a bit worried about :)

But with toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, etc I stockpile as long as they're free. Plus they're much easier to give away to family and friends than Peanut Butter :)

Niki Jolene said...

We do this too! I take advantage of good deals and free sample offers to build up stuff we use regularly...shampoo, soap, hair products, toothpaste, razors, etc.

I felt really great recently when I was able to donate a bunch to a local ministry who helps homeless women and children get back on their feet.

:)