Thursday, August 21, 2008

Start Saving, Step #1

Some friends and family have asked for some "getting started" tips, so I'll be posting some tips I've learned.

Start Saving, Step #1
Suspend Brand Loyalty!


Before I started watching my pennies, I must admit, I was a brand snob. Only a certain brand of toothpaste, mouthwash--the list could go on and on.

I've learned to try different brands--those I can buy for pennies playing the drugstore game, and those I can use coupons on at the grocery store.

What have I learned? My former favorites have now been replaced--by less expensive, yet better brands. Most of the time these deals are still "name brands," just brands I had not tried before I started on the coupon-ing journey.

I now love Colgate MaxFresh Burst--received for under 1.00 at CVS. I was previously a Crest fan.

What are your new favorites? Have you found any gems working your deals?

Do you have any brand you can't live without?









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have any brand you can't live without?

So far I haven't found a substitute for Biore face products. When there's a good deal for it (like right now at Walgreens), I stock up. Part of me probably doesn't want to find a substitute.

As far as other things, my husband and I are open to almost anything. The only thing he probably won't substitute is his Kraft Parmesan Cheese :)

Mercedes said...

We (read my husband) are brand selective for TP. He won't have any other than Charmin. But I was able to buy that super cheap at CVS in June. Then we came across Viva towels and he declared them his favorite. But those I am buying for 29 cents a roll next week at my grocery store. I want to think of something I can't live without and really can't pinpoint anything. Give me whatever toothpaste, as long as it cleans my teeth I am good!