Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Works For Me Wednesday--Diaper Rash and Double Strollers

This week's Works-For-Me-Wednesday is a Backwards Edition in honor of April Fool's Day. I am so glad it is working in reverse this week, because I need some help from experienced mommies!
My 1 year old son has a BAD diaper rash--very red, with bumps.
We have not experienced one at this level before, and the normal Desitin and A&D are not working!
We are likely headed to the pedi this afternoon, but I thought I'd seek out the bloggy experts.
What works for you when your little one has diaper rash? What products do you use? How do you soothe them through this painful problem?
On a less painful note...I'm expecting my 2nd baby, so my 2 will be 19 months apart. I'd love to hear double stroller suggestions! What do you love/hate?

Check out http://www.wearethatfamily.com/ for more Works-For-Me-Wednesday!

12 comments:

Jeni said...

The best thing I've found for a really bad diaper rash is Penaten ointment. I know you can get it online; I'm not sure which stores keep it on the shelves. It's really thick, and a little bit goes a long way!

I'm expecting #2, also, but my daughter will be 2 1/2 when my son is born. We're planning to get one of those sit/stand double strollers, instead of a traditional double.

Crazy_in_MD said...

Try Lotrimen, the anti-fungal cream. We usually don't get the "real" version but the CVS or target brand. They work just as well. When I see the bumps, that is when I think it could be fungal and I apply a light layer. I also asked my peditrician who also said that this was fine. It works for this family of 3 and almost 5. Hope this helps!

The Happy Housewife said...

For the diaper rash, fresh air worked best! I also used "butt" paste, but I am not sure what the real name for it is. Also try oatmeal baths.
I preferred the side by side stroller because then no one argued who sat in the front/ back when they got older. Also there was no hair pulling, my baby would pull my toddlers hair when he was behind her, not on purpose, but just to have something to grab on to.
Hope that helps!
Toni

Anonymous said...

If its just a raw rash I would use A & D, but it it is bumpy and not going away its probably a yeast infection and use a light layer of lotrimen.

Congrats on your pregnancy, I have a graco double stroller and we really like it, though I am looking into getting a side by side jogging stroller.

Superchikk said...

You can also try feeding your little one some yogurt with active cultures if it's a yeast infection. It will help cut down on the internal yeast, but you'll probably need something else externally.

For severe diaper rash, my grandmother's remedy has helped my son, though I only pull it out when it's really bad. What is it? Cloth diapers.

Ugh, I know, right? But even just letting his little booty breathe for an hour or so helps it clear up really fast! So I'd put him in a cloth diaper for a little while several times a day and he'd be cleared up in no time!

Ginger said...

I see other moms have mentioned Lotrimen. My kids are older now but what worked best for severe diaper rash was a mixture of Lotrimen (off brand) and Hydrocortisone cream. I mixed it in my hand and then spread it on. Another VERY important key is making sure the skin is completely DRY before you apply any ointment.

Anonymous said...

Crazy I know...but I make a paste from Aquafor and Maalox. If Lotrimen doesn't work, try this! Usually works every time.

Amy Andrews said...

My 4th had the same problem and I must have tried every ointment in the baby aisle at Target! :) If you check the labels you'll see that most have somewhere between 10%-20% zinc oxide as the main active ingredient. BUT, Desitin Original (NOT Desitin Creamy) has 40%. And for me, it has definitely worked the best. Hope it clears up soon! Not fun at all. :(

Anonymous said...

i like burt's bees for diap rash
as for the stroller i like the one where the seats are in a row becuz the side by side doesn't fit in the doors at shops or down aisles. :)

Bailey's Leaf said...

Though they sell it in the store, you can make something called Triple Paste. The pediatrician told me how to make it. It is:

1 part cornstarch
1 part vasoline
1 part liquid maalox

Mix equal parts together, then slather on.

Honestly, I used straight up cornstarch in a pepper seed shaker and that worked wonders just on its own.

Nicole Feliciano said...

Best diaper cream-erba organics (but be warned it is pricey)

Best double stroller-phil & teds classic.

Melissa D at DropTheBabyWeight.com said...

for us, the 40% Desitin is key, but I'll have to check out these other remedies being suggested. Our doc said better to put Desitin on first, and then when things clear up to keep Aquaphor on if possible to help heal. But we have straight diaper rashes, I think, so if you have something else it may not be enough.

Our experience with a double side by side jogger was that I would have rather paid more and gotten a better-designed stroller. Especially because they really do need to last for eons and you may as well get something good the first time and see it as an investment for the next 5 years or so.