Friday, April 3, 2009

Frugal Friday, Consignment and Garage Sale Finds








My Frugal Tip of the Week? One most of you I'm sure already follow...it pays to dig!


I attended a large consignment sale in our area last week--I had a plan, and a list. I was unable to find most of the big ticket items I was looking for (double stroller, etc.), however my persistence in searching out the little things paid off.



Have you heard of Trumpettes socks? (http://www.trumpette.com/)





The Mary Janes are just precious. I was hoping to find some of these at the consignment sale, and my first visit did not pay off. I went back later on the weekend, and while searching for a bathing suit for my son--noticed a few ziploc baggies of socks on top of a table. Digging paid off--I found 3 pair with the tags still on--in one bag--and paid 5 dollars for the bag.
Digging also paid off in the clothing dept for our baby girl we are expecting. I was also able to obtain some name brand, adorable kids clothing for just a few dollars! A gap onesie? One dollar, Ralph Lauren (new) pink dress and bloomers? Seven dollars. Many shorts, shirts, and onesies for 2.00 or less.


Lest you think my son was left out of the fun--I found one of these at a garage sale.
A MegaBlox Firetruck, with Blox included for only 6.00. Not bad.


So my question to you--what do you search for at consignment sales and garage sales?


What great bargains have you found for you or your kiddos?

While you are here--if you have any suggestions on double strollers, I'd love to hear your feedback!

(http://koalamama.blogspot.com/2009/04/works-for-me-wednesday-diaper-rash.html)

Find more Frugal Tips at http://www.lifeasmom.com/!

3 comments:

Simply Sara said...

I love garage/consignment store shopping. You sometimes really do have to dig, but can get some fabulous deals- sometimes (like you discovered) even with tags still on them!
My favorite find at a garage sale was an outdoor playhouse that was practically brand new that I got for $40!(at the time they were selling for $300+ in the store!)

We had a sit/stand stroller which I LOVED when we had just the two kids, but my son was 3 when we had our second, so he loved the ability to sit when he was tired, or stand to see what was going on.
Then when we found out we were pregnant with #3 we had to buy a different double stroller. My girls are only 13 months apart, so we bought the graco double stroller. (there was no way my 13 month old would have survived in the sit/stand one!)

I find the graco works good, especially in the mall where you don't have a lot of room to have a side by side. It stores nicely too....although I won't lie it feels HUGE compared to a single stroller.
:)

Good Luck and Congrats on #2
:)

The Prudent Homemaker said...

If you sign up on your consignment store's email list, they email you sales (ours do, at least). You can also ask them to call you when they get a double stroller in.

Sometimes, they have fill a bag for $5 sales, or all white tags 50% off sales, etc. The email will help you be ready for the sales.

Anonymous said...

I love those little Mary Janes socks ... so cute! Too bad I only had boys, and that they were born so long ago (now 20 and 22) that the really cute stuff hadn't been invented yet :o)

Double strollers ... have you checked Craigslist.com for your area? And do you have a local (or even within a reasonable driving distance) Freecycle group? Freecycle is exactly what it says, FREE ... and you can post ads about things you're looking for and want/need. I'd also suggest talking to some local churches and preschools, to see if they have any sort of bulletin board message center, referral group, or knowledge of whose family might have outgrown their double stroller.

Stop by my blog for fun thrifting tips every day in April, I'd love to have you visit.

Victoria
30 Days of Junkin' in April