Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Works for Me Wednesday, PUPPPs Relief



Have you heard of PUPPPS? Sounds cute and fuzzy, right? Very ironic, because PUPPPs, also known as Pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy, is very uncute and miserable.

It all started when I was pregnant with my son--my 30 week visit. I mentioned some bumps on my hands that had recently appeared. The doctor took a look, and said it was nothing to worry about. He did mention that if it started to spread and itch, I needed to let him know.

Two hours later? You guessed it...spreading and itching.

I went back for another visit, and was told the practice usually sees one case a year of PUPPPs--and this is a huge OBGYN practice. I was the (un)lucky one.

The good news? Not harmful to me or to baby.

The bad news? No cure, no real effective treatment--research dollars are not put into it to find cures, because it goes away once the baby is born. That meant I had at least 10 weeks to deal with itching that was similar to chicken pox--and that there was nothing I could do about it.

I survived it with my sanity intact (barely)--I would wake up bleeding from all the scratching in my sleep.

After doing some online research, I found a couple of products that did ease the itching for a short amount of time:


This is Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap--I bathed with it everyday.

This is Witch Hazel--I used cotton balls to apply it to itching areas to provide some relief.
You can find both at drugstore.com.


I hope no one you know has to deal with PUPPPs, but if you do--know it will come to an end, and try these products to provide some relief in the interim.


Pine Tar Soap, Witch Hazel, and itching for 10 weeks? Works for Me...he was worth every scratch!



Check out http://www.wearethatfamily.com/ for more WFMW!

5 comments:

Ronda said...

I suffered through that too - miserable. I was sent to a dermatolgist. They compounded some expensive cream - did not really help. The doc induced me at 37 weeks - thank you doc!! Not many people have heard about it - but you are right. Our little blessings are well worth any discomfort!!
Ronda (TX)

Cascia Talbert said...

I couldn't imagine going through that. I've never heard of PUPPPs. At least it goes away after giving birth.

Anonymous said...

Oh my I've never heard of that. Sounds horrible! But like you said he is so worth it, and what a great picture.

Jenny @ Another Jennifer Speaks said...

Hi. I was just surfing around some blogs, and I came across yours. It’s pretty nifty and I’m really enjoying my stay here. I’ve bookmarked your site for daily visits, and I hope you’ll visit me. I’d love to have you. :) Have a great day and I’ll see you around the blogosphere. :)

Morgan said...

I had PUPPPS with my first baby (a son). It was absolutely miserable. Looking back at the experience now, I wish I had tried going to a dermatologist or found someone that could help me live with the rash during the remainder of my pregnancy. The only relief I found was having my baby born.

Was your rash even more miserable during labor?