Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Cheap, Healthy Recipes




I wanted to share a couple of recipes I've made lately.


Can I call it a recipe if I don't have exact measurements?


I was inspired by all the hummus related talk at Pioneer Woman, and the bean salad/cilantro chatter at My Charming Kids...as we are slowly trying to take steps to healthier eating around here.


Black Bean Salad

1 can black beans

1 can corn

1/4 chopped onion

1 handful chopped cilantro

3/4 juice of a medium lemon

Pinch of Salt

Pinch of Garlic Salt


Mix all ingredients, chill.


Serving idea: Cut Avacado in half, spoon bean salad on top.


This was a big hit for all ages--from my 1 year old, to my hubby, to my MIL and Mom. It is light and refreshing!


Make-do Cilantro Hummus

1 can garbanzo beans

2 cloves fresh garlic

1 handful cilantro

Salt to taste

1 Squeeze of Lemon Juice


Mix all ingredients in food processor.


Tahini is not in my budget, we were out of olive oil, etc. I used what we had, and this turned out pretty tasty! My husband spread it on bread, and I used it as a dip for carrot sticks. Very versatile!


Cheap Healthy Recipes work for me! Check out more Works for Me Wednesday at http://www.wearethatfamily.com/!

No comments: